Wednesday, September 21, 2011

New York, New York

Last weekend we went to New York City to celebrate (belatedly) my 30th birthday and to visit Chris’ Aunt Nancy.  We spent most of Thursday prepping the car and packing so that we could pull out of our driveway no later than 7 am Friday morning.  I believe we made it at 6:56.  Those with small children and/or hard to wake husbands, know that is no small feat.
Chris didn't have to drive the WHOLE way


Sadly, a mere hour down the road, traffic slowed to a standstill.  A kind man in a pick up truck headed south rolled down his window to inform us that we had absolutely no chance of making it north anytime soon due to flooded roads and detours.  But we had already cancelled our trip once because of Hurricane Irene, and it was the second time I had packed for the journey.  I whipped out my newly acquired iphone and began searching for alternate routes.

Two hours and several failed attempts later, we accepted the fact that Maryland has truly been designed with just one way out.  We waited (and waited) but eventually arrived in New York City a mere 11 hours after we departed.  Chris drove casually through the busy streets in route to Nancy’s.  I, the faithful navigator, sat in the passenger seat alternately using my invisible break, closing my eyes, hyperventilating, and yelling, “Chriiis!!” in a helpful sort of way.

After arriving safely at Nancy’s, the girls checked out every square foot of the glorious Brooklyn apartment.  Chris, Nancy and I enjoyed a delicious dinner of lasagna, salad and french bread; Nicole munched on cheerios, and Allison (my little french girl) proceeded to eat not one, but three, pieces of bread.  I suspect she was in heaven after all the 100% whole wheat bread we insist on most of the time.

The next morning we accompanied Nancy on her usual Saturday morning trek to the farmers’ market.  We shared a delicious vegan chocolate muffin (Allie’s choice), and Nancy introduced Allison to her milk man.  Yup, there are still milk men in New York City.  And the milk still comes in glass bottles which are returned and reused.  How awesome is that?
Prospect Park Farmers' Market


After returning all of our market finds to the apartment, we all walked through Prospect Park to the zoo and carousel.  By a fabulous stroke of luck, the Prospect Park Alliance was having an event where members could enjoy free access to both.  By an even more fabulous stroke of luck, Nancy was a member of the alliance.

Nancy and I took the girls on the carousel.  Allie picked out a pink horse (no surprises there), and insisted that Aunt Nancy be the one to accompany her.  Nicole and I chose the horse next to Allie.  As the ride began, Allie was all smiles.  She absolutely loves carousels and would probably ride one all day if we would let her.  I couldn’t really tell if Nicole was having fun, but I didn’t hear any terrified screaming so I assumed all was well.  The woman on a horse in front of us turned around and looked at Nicole.  I knew what was coming before she opened her mouth:  “Your baby is making the funniest face!”  Huh.  No surprises there either. :)


After the ride and once we had successfully begged, pleaded, and forcefully removed Allie from the carousel, we ventured into the zoo.  It’s not huge, but it’s pretty great for a zoo in a park.  I spent most of my time in the primate building, watching the baby baboons play and giving Nicole her bottle.  The others checked out the ‘farm’; rumor has it that Chris had the rare opportunity to milk a cardboard cow.

Once the girls were exhausted, we returned to the apartment for lunch and a nap for Nicole.  I volunteered to pick up tickets for a Broadway play while she slept.  The TKTS booth, offering half priced tickets to same day shows, was in downtown Brooklyn, and I figured I could make it there and back safely on my own.

I carefully mapped out the nearest subway station on my iphone and double checked my route with Nancy.  The walk to the station was pretty straight forward, and I was feeling like quite the savvy New Yorker by the time I effortlessly swiped my card at the turnstile and continued down the stairs to catch the train.

I proceeded to feel like a savvy New Yorker all the way to my stop and up the stairs to street level.  I felt much less savvy when I looked around and had no idea where I was or how I was oriented. 

Thank goodness for technology.  I spent the six block walk to the TKTS booth with my nose to my iphone, watching my blinking satellite position grow closer and closer to my destination.  Five minutes later, two tickets to ‘Jersey Boys’ in hand, I made the walk back to the station [almost] iphone free, and caught the train back to the apartment.

A few hours later I was back on the subway, this time with my hubby by my side.  We got off in Manhattan at 42nd street, the most happening subway stop in the world.  Times Square was jam-packed with other broadway goers, tourists, and probably locals as well.  Chris and I held hands all the way to the theatre, not because it was our first date since last May, but because if we didn’t hold on, we would have lost each other in the river of people flooding the street.


“Jersey Boys” was amazing.  The music was spectacular and the scenery was unbelievable.  I love live theatre, particularly musicals, so I couldn’t have asked for a better birthday present.

After the show, we grabbed dinner at an Asian Fusion restaurant and finished off our night by sitting in the newly erected stadium seating across from the famous Times Square billboard.  It was close to midnight, and the place was possibly more crowded than it had been when we arrived.  The city may never sleep, but thirty year old parents of young children certainly do.  We called it a night and caught the train back to Brooklyn.

The next morning we enjoyed New York bagels for breakfast and a leisurely walk to the playground before loading up the car and heading home.  Fortunately, the flooding in Maryland had died down, and the trip home was a good four hours shorter than the trip up had been.


I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: I absolutely adore NYC.  Can’t wait to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment